DegreeWorks FAQ

General FAQs:

Degree Works is an online advising tool to help you and your advisor monitor your progress toward degree completion.  Degree Works matches your coursework (completed, currently enrolled, or registered for in the future) to your degree requirements in an easy-to-read worksheet that shows how the courses count toward degree requirements.

Degree Works is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate students.  Advisors, faculty, and selected staff also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

No, you can continue to register online only through the Banner Student Self-Service portal.

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night.  Any changes made today (e.g. grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.


A Degree Works audit is a curriculum evaluation separated into different blacks of requirements, such as the general education, major, minor, concentration and other requirements.  Each block with in the audit works as a checklist with boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

As of Fall 2015, Degree Works is available to all undergraduate students who were admitted to VSU Fall 2012 or later.

Yes.  Utilizing the “Save as PDF” button, you can save or print a .pdf version of your audit.  When doing so, please be aware of FERPA regulations.

There could be several reasons why information in Degree Works is not up to date.  One is that Degree Works may not have been refreshed since a change was made (information is refreshed nightly) to a student record.  Second, there could be pending paperwork that has not been processed (course substitution, change of major, etc.). If you have recently submitted an academic form, check with your Academic Advisor.

Yes, once grade have been posted at the end of the term, they are viewable in Degree Works.

Yes, on the Audits tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a list of courses taken at VSU as well as transfer classes.

No.  You should submit a Change of Major/Minor/Concentration form.

If you have not officially changed your major, submit a Change of Major form (See instructions at  If you have officially changed your major, the Degree Works audit will display only your active degree audit.  If the program change is effective for a future term, the change will not reflect until that term.

Look at the effective catalog that appears on the major requirements block of the audit.  According to our records this is the effective catalog that you are using to complete your major requirements.  If you believe you are following subsequent effective catalog, contact your advisor.

Your audit will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each block.  You can also see a consolidated list of courses not yet completed by selecting Registration Checklist from the Worksheets menu.  You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your Academic Advisor.

Please ask your Academic Advisor for assistance.  The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong.  These are the most common problems and courses of action.

If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact your Academic Advisor.

Degree Works uses a “best fit” approach to meet requirements, so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses.  If you have further questions, please contact your Academic Advisor.

Check with your advisor to be sure the proper paperwork has been completed and submitted to the Registrar’ Office.  Once substitutions are entered by the Registrar’s Office and a new audit has been run, the change will appear on the audit.

If you have not officially declared your minor/concentration, contact your Academic Advisor and submit a Change of Minor/Concentration form (See instruction at  If you have already officially declared your minor, the Registrar’s Office may still be updating your records. 

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress.  It displays courses required and completed in your degree program.  Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

Please contact your Academic Advisor.

Once AP/IB scores are received and credit is granted they are posted to the student record and will appear on the audit.  Likewise, transfer work if, articulated by Transfer Admissions, will also appear.


You can use the “What-If” option on the Audits tab to create an audit based on requirements for the program you are interested in.  Be sure to select a Degree, Catalog term and Major along with any corresponding Minors or Concentrations.  What-If audits do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select.  If you decide you’d like to change your major, contact the Academic Advisor of the new major for information and instructions.

Since What-If audits are not stored in Degree Works, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What-If procedure together.  You can, however, print a copy to show your advisor. 

Not necessarily.  This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current term.  If you have followed through on any requirements you were told to complete, you should still be on track for graduation.  Contact your Academic Advisor as soon as possible.

At least four times a semester.  You should always review your audit:

  1. Before you meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
  2. After you register to ensure that the course you selected applied to you requirements like you thought they would.
  3. After your grades for each semester are posted.
  4. Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.

Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen.  You’ll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow.  Us this to select your second program.  Once you select on this, an audit with the additional major will display.

This is a wild card in Degree Works.  If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100:499), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 100-400 course from any subject area.)  If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSYC @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology).

The Term Calculator (includes current term) option on the GPA Calc tab will show an estimate of your cumulative GPA.  The cumulative GPA excludes transfer credit.  Degree Works will pull in your current earned credits and GPA and place your in-progress courses in the table where you can then enter the anticipated grade for each course.  You will then see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

The Advice GPA Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show various credit and grade scenarios in order for you to achieve your desired cumulative GPA.  The cumulative GPA excludes credit not taken at VSU.

No.  This is an estimate only.