Address Change

Address changes are processed daily. Once the address change is processed, it is effective immediately. 

No. The Office of the Registrar is the only place to do an official address change. All offices use the address on file.

Check the address file by logging into Banner Self Service.  Click Trojan Link, Banner, and then Self Service for Students.

Please bring a driver’s license, mail, lease, etc. Documents presented must coincide with the new address. 

General Office

Virginia State University
P.O. Box 9217
Virginia State University, VA 23806
(804) 524-5275
(804) 524-6758

We are located in Gandy Hall Room 119.

Our office hours are Monday –Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

You can view holds by logging into Banner Self Service.  Click Trojan Link, Banner, and then Self Service for Students.

The GPA is determined by dividing the total quality point (QTPS) earned by total quality hours (QHRS) attempted for grades of A, B, C, D and F. The highest grade in courses which have been repeated is used in the calculation.

The grade of Incomplete (I) is a temporary grade that the instructor may assign when exceptional, documented circumstances prevent the student from completing required assignments or from taking the final examination. If the grade of Incomplete is assigned, the student must complete the work and the professor must submit the Grade Change Form.  If a Grade Change Form is not submitted within 1 year of the grade being issued, the grade of I will automatically convert to a grade of F.  Any grade change after that time will require the approval of the Academic Credits Committee.

  • Incomplete grades given in the fall: must be removed/ extended by the above indicated deadline in the following spring semester.
  • Incomplete grades given in the spring: must be removed/extended by the above indicated deadline in the following fall semester.
  • Incomplete grades given in the summer: must be removed/extended by the above indicated deadline in the following fall semester.

All extensions of an incomplete grade require the signature of the instructor, department chair, and academic dean and must include a specific date (MMDDYY) prior to the last day of the next regular semester. I grades will roll to a grade of F once an extension date has expired. Note: Degrees will not be conferred for students with a missing grade or grade(s) of Incomplete, I, on his/her academic record and the student’s anticipated semester of graduation will be moved to the following term.

Visit the Virginia Residency page for more information on In-State tuition.

Contact the University College at Phone: (804) 524-6755

Virginia State University observes the Federal definition of a credit hour as described by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.  That definition states that a credit hour is “an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates:

  1. Not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time, or
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required outlined in item 1 above for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.”

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses, such as those offered via distance education or online, in which it is difficult to apply the seat time standard, a credit hour may be measured by demonstrating evidence of achievement, represented in intended learning outcomes, that is equal to an amount of work that is equivalent to experiencing one hour of class attendance or faculty instruction per week, for 15 weeks, etc.

FERPA protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

For more information visit the FERPA information page.

Grade Changes

Grade change forms received in the Registrar’s Office from a Dean’s office are processed daily. However, there are some instances where it may take longer to process a change.  For example, the grade change form is delayed in either the department chair’s or the dean’s office, or if the grade being changed is more than a year old, the process must be approved by the Academic Credits Committee (ACC).  You may contact your department chair to determine where your grade change is in the ACC process.


During the Add/Drop period as dictated by the academic calendar, (generally the first week of class for full fall and spring semester courses) courses may be added or dropped from your schedule but after this period.  After this period has ended courses can no longer be added to your schedule.  Likewise, to remove a course the student must withdraw.  A withdrawal will result in a “W” being placed on the student’s transcript denoting that the student left the course after the add/drop period.  The period in which one can withdraw from a course is also listed in the academic calendar but generally ends shortly after mid-term grades are posted.  Failure to withdraw from classes by the end of the withdrawal period could result in the assignment of failing grades in all or some of the courses.

Please refer to the academic calendar for deadline dates. When making schedule adjustments, your advisor will provide you with the form. This form must be filled out properly and signed prior to submitting to the Registrar’s Office.

No, but please be mindful it may affect your Financial Aid.

Yes, you will be charged per credit hour.  For more information, please review the tuition guide

Typically, at the beginning of December but refer to the Academic Calendar for specified dates.  Financial aid will not cover classes for winter sessions. You will be required to cover the expenses.

Students can access all classes through Banner Self-Service for students.  As a courtesy the course availability will be updated weekly during the registration period and can be found on the Registrar’s web page.  Please be mindful that the most up-to-date information will ALWAYS be in Banner Self Service.

Your advisor can be found in your department (sophomores, juniors, seniors, graduate students and transfers with more than 30 credit hours) or in the University College if you are a freshman/transfer student with fewer than 30 credit hours.   Every semester an advisor hold will be placed on students’ accounts. Once proper advisement has been done, your advisor will take off the hold and you will then be permitted to register for your classes using Banner Self Service. Students should meet with their advisor at least once per semester. This will ensure that you are on track to complete all of your degree requirements in a timely manner. Take advantage of the help your advisor can provide!

VSU has restricted the override process for closed courses. Due to issues of class overcrowding the decision was made that department chairs would set capacity for courses taking into consideration the actual number of seats available as well as the related learning outcomes for the discipline.  Once this capacity is set only the department can request to adjust the classroom capacity or change the room location.  Also the dean’s office can request for a student to be added to a closed course by contacting the Registrar in writing.  This process is generally reserved for very special cases to include graduating seniors.


You should apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester in which all requirements are to be completed. Once the deadline for graduation applications has passed, a confirmation of receipt will be sent to your VSU student email.  Deadlines to submit Applications for Graduation to the Registrar’s Office are as follows:

  • Last Friday in September for December Graduation
  • Last Friday in February for May Graduation
  • Last Friday in April for July Graduation 

The acceptance of applications by the Registrar’s Office after these dates does not carry any commitments.

Consult your departmental advisor regarding your specific degree requirements. All degree requirements must be completed by the last day of final examinations of the semester in which you intend to graduate. Your department is responsible for clearing you for graduation and certifying to the Office of the Registrar that requirements have been met. We encourage you to consult your academic advisor PRIOR TO your final semester to ensure that you will meet all degree requirements as you expect.


  • Evaluation of transfer work. All transfer credit must be evaluated and posted to your academic record. Official transcripts from prior institutions must be submitted for evaluation prior to your expected graduation date. Check your transfer credits in Banner to be sure all expected credits have been evaluated and posted.
  • Concurrent Enrollment. Attendance at another institution during the final 30 semester hours can adversely affect graduation. Please consult your academic advisor.
  • Application.  This application is only valid for the completion date on your application.  If for any reason you do not graduate during the semester and year indicated on the form, the application is null and void.  Another application must be filled out in a timely manner for the new anticipated graduation date.  A new application fee is not necessary.
  • Late Applications.  ALL late applications must have a Graduation Application Exception Supplement (page 3) attached and signed by the Provost.

Official Transcripts

All transcript requests must be made in writing with the requestors’ signature. Please refer to the Transcript page and follow instructions.

The fee for the transcript is $5.00 per copy. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing time. For status you may call 804-524-5275

Verification of Enrollment

Enrollment verifications may be provided upon request for the purpose of health and auto insurance, credit card applications, employment application, scholarship etc. There is no fee for this service.  

Enrollment verification includes the following information:

  • Current term enrollment and status
  • Enrollment history
  • Major field of study
  • Student’s academic Standing
  • Expected date of graduation       

Fill out the Enrollment Verification Form.